Rafael Carsalade, CPA
CO-CREATE | CO-DEVELOP | DELIVER
A Houston-based firm of CPAs and professional advisors co-developing solutions with our clients at every stage of the business life cycle.
International corporate and partnership taxation, including in-bound and out-bound structures planning, reporting of foreign activities, investments, payroll compliance and multi-national planning and coordination. Responsible for U.S. tax assistance to clients headquartered in several countries, including Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, Mexico, U.K., Venezuela, etc.
Tax and business consultation for domestic medium to large, privately owned and publicly held companies, including manufacturing and distribution, leasing, importing, construction, software development and service businesses. Experiences in diverse areas including FAS 109 [ASC 740] deferred tax analysis, representation of clients in I.R.S. examinations, acquisitions and due diligence, and uniform capitalization matters.
International individual taxation, including U.S. international estate and gift planning, taxation of foreign nationals and U.S. expatriates and income tax planning for high-level foreign executives.
- Energy & Oilfield Services
CPA, Certified Public Accountant
Pannell Kerr Forster of Texas P.C., Houston, TX, 2003 – Present
Director, 2012 - present
Senior Manager, 2008 – 2012
KeenerAllis & Company, Houston, TX
Senior Associate, 2001 – 2003
Associate, 1998 - 2001
(merged with PKF Texas, 2003)
Queen’s University, Ontario, Canada
Bachelor of Arts - Economics with Honors, 1998
Graduated in Dean’s Honor List – Top 3% of BA graduating class
- Brazil-Texas Chamber of Commerce – Board of Directors
- Mayor’s International Trade and Development Council for North America
- International Tax Forum of Houston
- Houston Council on Foreign Relations
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants
- “Selected Provisions of the Fifth Protocol to the U.S. – Canada Income Tax Treaty” – The Tax Adviser, November 2008
- “Triple Taxation under Branch Profits Tax and FIRPTA: How Not to Invest in U.S. Real Property Using Foreign Corporations” – The Tax Adviser, November 2007
- "State of Texas NAFTA Office” – Mexico Business Mission to Houston – presented in Spanish
- PKF International Tax Conference, Toronto, Canada – Transfer Pricing Panel Moderator
- PKF North America Fly-In, Minneapolis, USA – “Fifth Protocol of the U.S.-Canada Income Tax Treaty – Major Changes”
- U.S. and Canada Cross-Border Tax Breakfast, Vancouver, Canada – “Canadian Business Expansion into the US”
- PKF International Tax Conference, Madrid, Spain – Chair, Transfer Pricing Session
- PKF NA Manufacturing Niche Conference – International Tax Issues for Manufacturers
Video series PKF Texas – The Entrepreneur’s Playbook®:
- Considerations for International Tax
- Creating a Taxable Presence Internationally
- The Impact of International Tax Treaties When Doing Business Overseas
Why did you choose to be a CPA and/or advisor?
To be able to help clients find solutions, solve problems and be able to focus on their business knowing we have the tax portion covered.
What do you like best about helping clients?
The feeling that we are contributing to their success by being part of their team, providing them with the expertise in tax that they need to be able to focus on their business.
What energizes you about your job?
New problems, new solutions and stronger relationships every day come into the office.
What energizes you about working at PKF Texas?
The fact that the leadership shares the same passion for helping clients, and the environment provided allows us to make a difference with clients.
Why are you passionate about serving this niche?
The ability to work with international clients and entrepreneurs and to be able to help them be successful in the U.S and overseas.
Where are you from?
Everywhere, Brazil, Canada, Switzerland, Singapore and the U.S.
What do you do in your spare time?
Play soccer, socialize with friends, spend time with family, read, ski, etc.
What's your favorite season?
Not tax season. Fall.
What's your favorite sport to follow?
Do you own any pets?
What kind of music do you like?
Most. And Brazilian Bossa Nova and Rock.
What is your favorite book/author? Or What are you reading right now?
Don't have favorites. Reading tax reform right now.
What's your favorite vacation destination?
Most places outside Houston, and if outside the U.S., it's a bonus.
Who was/is the most influential person in your life?
What is your most-prized possession?
What’s something cool we don’t know about you?
We're tax people, we are not cool. :)
Learned to read and write in French...
- Brian Baumler, CPA
- Rafael Carsalade, CPA
- Martin Euson, JD
- Sonia Freeman, CPA, CGMA
- Annabella Green, SPHR, SHRM-SCP, AAAPM
- Kenneth Guidry, CPA
- Chris Hatten, CPA, CM&AA, CVA
- Byron Hebert, CPA, CTP
- Nikki Homratsamy, CPA
- Ryan Istre, CPA
- Frank Landreneau, CPA
- Marty Lindle, CPA
- Karen Love
- Chip Schweiger, CPA, CGMA
- Jim Streets, CPA
- Danielle Supkis Cheek, CPA, CFE, CVA
- Michael Veuleman, CPA
- Gary Voth, CPA, JD
- J. Del Walker, CPA